Meta, formerly known as Facebook, is reportedly working on a new virtual reality (VR) headset called the Quest 3. The headset is expected to be released in late 2023 or early 2024, and it is rumored to feature several improvements over its predecessor, the Quest 2.
Here is everything we know about the Meta Quest 3 so far:
- Design: The Quest 3 is expected to have a slimmer and lighter design than the Quest 2. It is also rumored to have a new strap design that will make it more comfortable to wear for extended periods.
- Display: The Quest 3 is expected to have a higher-resolution display than the Quest 2. This will result in a sharper and more immersive VR experience.
- Processor: The Quest 3 is expected to be powered by a new processor that is more powerful than the processor in the Quest 2. This will allow for more demanding VR experiences, such as high-end games and simulations.
- Price: The Quest 3 is expected to be more expensive than the Quest 2. However, it is still expected to be a relatively affordable VR headset.
The Meta Quest 3 is shaping up to be a major upgrade over the Quest 2. With its improved design, display, and processor, the Quest 3 is poised to be the best VR headset on the market.
In addition to the rumored features, here are some other things we can expect from the Meta Quest 3:
- Improved hand tracking: The Quest 3 is rumored to have improved hand tracking, which will allow users to interact with VR objects without using controllers.
- Passthrough support: The Quest 3 is rumored to support passthrough, which will allow users to see the real world through the headset. This could be useful for tasks such as navigation and checking your surroundings.
- New games and apps: The Quest 3 is expected to launch with a new library of games and apps. These games and apps will take advantage of the headset’s improved hardware and features.
The Meta Quest 3 is shaping up to be a major player in the VR market. With its improved features and library of content, the Quest 3 is poised to be the go-to VR headset for gamers, businesses, and consumers alike.
Meta’s upcoming Quest 3 headset could feature color cameras for more lifelike pass-through video, according to a report from Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman.
Gurman, who has a good track record of reporting on Meta’s plans, says that the Quest 3 will have three “vertical pill-shaped sensor areas” that house two color video pass-through cameras, two standard cameras, and a depth sensor.
The presence of color cameras would be a significant upgrade over the Quest 2, which only has monochrome tracking cameras. This would allow users to see their surroundings in color without having to remove the headset, which could be helpful for tasks like checking your phone or navigating your environment.
Gurman also says that the Quest 3 will have a slightly higher resolution display than the Quest 2 and that it will be powered by the next-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 chipset.
The Quest 3 is expected to be released later this year, and it is likely to be one of the most anticipated VR headsets of the year. With its improved resolution, color pass-through, and powerful processor, the Quest 3 could be the headset that finally makes VR mainstream.
Here are some of the potential benefits of color pass-through video in VR:
- Improved safety: Color pass-through video could make it easier for users to see their surroundings, which could help to prevent accidents.
- Enhanced immersion: Color pass-through video could help to make VR experiences more immersive by allowing users to see the real world around them.
- Increased productivity: Color pass-through video could be used to improve productivity in VR by allowing users to see their computer screens or other work-related materials.
Overall, color pass-through video is a promising new technology that has the potential to make VR more safe, immersive, and more productive.